Are Mercury Fillings Dangerous? | Manhattan Beach Dentist

When we needed a filling in the past, we didn’t have much of a choice as far as options were concerned. Fillings have been traditionally made with amalgam, otherwise known as mercury fillings. While effective, the use of mercury fillings has raised concerns in recent years, due to the use and presence of mercury. Dentists have used this combination of metals to restore teeth and fill cavities for more than a hundred years and remains a popular choice because it is generally cheaper and more durable. But, is mercury considered dangerous?

The United States Food and Drug Administration has stated that there’s no reason to limit the use of mercury and have come to the conclusion that the fillings are safe for both adults, as well as children above the age of 6. There are groups, however, that believe that this conclusion should be reconsidered and reevaluated. The main reason for concern with mercury fillings is the effect of mercury in the human body. While we all are exposed to little amounts of mercury every day, very low levels aren’t really enough to warrant concern. However, at higher levels, mercury has been proven to cause anxiety, irritability, memory loss, headaches and even fatigue.

In recent years, it’s been shown that as the mercury filling wears, which happens over time, very small amounts of mercury in the form of vapor are slowly released into the human body. Just how much this affects the human body, if it does at all, is debatable and there are experts that conclude that the amount of mercury released is very low to pose any threat.

If you have questions or concerns regarding mercury fillings, contact Dr. Anthony Yamada, DDS at 310-546-2595 to schedule a consultation today, or visit for additional information.

Proudly serving Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, El Segundo, Redondo Beach, Torrance and all surrounding areas.